Re: memcg: softlimit on internal nodes

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 05:26:20PM -0700, Tejun Heo wrote:
> If such actual soft limit is desired (I don't know, it just seems like
> a very fundamental / logical feature to me), please don't try to
> somehow overload "softlimit".  They are two fundamentally different
> knobs, both make sense in their own ways, and when you stop confusing
> the two, there's nothing ambiguous about what what each knob means in
> hierarchical situations.  This goes the same for the "untrusted" flag
> Ying told me, which seems like another confused way to overload two
> meanings onto "softlimit".  Don't overload!

As for how actually to clean up this yet another mess in memcg, I
don't know.  Maybe introduce completely new knobs - say,
oom_threshold, reclaim_threshold, and reclaim_trigger - and alias
hardlimit to oom_threshold and softlimit to recalim_trigger?  BTW,
"softlimit" should default to 0.  Nothing else makes any sense.

Maybe you can gate it with "sane_behavior" flag or something.  I don't
know.  It's your mess to clean up.  :P

Thanks.

--
tejun