Unexpected mremap + shared anon mapping behavior

Hi!

I've recently noticed that the following user-space code

#define _GNU_SOURCE
#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/mman.h>

#define PAGE_SIZE	(4096)

int main(void)
{
	char *mem = mmap(NULL, PAGE_SIZE, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED | MAP_ANON, 0, 0);
	mem = mremap(mem, PAGE_SIZE, 2 * PAGE_SIZE, MREMAP_MAYMOVE);
	mem[0] = 'a';
	mem[PAGE_SIZE] = 'b';
	return 0;
}

generates SIGBUS on the 2nd page access. But if we change MAP_SHARED into MAP_PRIVATE
in the mmap() call, it starts working OK.

This happens because when doing a MAP_SHARED | MAP_ANON area, the kernel sets up a shmem
file for the mapping, but the subsequent mremap() doesn't grow it. Thus a page-fault into
the 2nd page happens to be beyond this file i_size, resulting in SIGBUS.

So, the question is -- what should the mremap() behavior be for shared anonymous mappings?
Should it truncate the file to match the grown-up vma length? If yes, should it also
truncate it if we mremap() the mapping to the smaller size?

I also have to note, that before the /proc/PID/map_files/ directory appeared in Linux it
was impossible to fix this behavior from the application side. Now app can (yes, it's a
hack) open the respective shmem file via this dir and manually truncate one. It does help.

Thanks,
Pavel