Re: Better integration of compression with the broader linux-mm

* Ric Mason (ric.masonn@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On 02/22/2013 09:19 AM, Minchan Kim wrote:

> >>Why need function pointer in struct page? Since zspages are on
> >>LRU_[FILE|ANON]_ZPAGES, page reclaim subsystem call reclaim them
> >>directly.
> >It would be a subpage of zspage and zspage format might be different in each
> >MM-compression subsystem so MM layter can't reclaim them without helping from
> >MM-compression subsytsem, IMHO.
>
> Thanks for your clarify. Also I think zspages result in memory can't
> hotplug.

There is an isolation notifier chain which could be used.  It allows
users of non-migratable pages to free memory for hotplug.  It was added
in commit 925cc71 (see description there) and moved to current location
by commit ee6f509.

This improves the chances for memory hotplug removal and where possible
users of non-migratable pages should employ this notifier.  There's no
guanantee that memory can be removed because a section which has
non-migratable pages may have some pages that are not covered by an
isolation notifier.

The notifier tries to account for all non-migratable pages through the
memory_isolate_chain.  If that is sucessful it is expected that those
pages will be freed later through the memory notifier chain and removal
contines for that section.

--Rob Jennings