Re: O_DIRECT on tmpfs (again)

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012, Jeff Moyer wrote:

> Hi Hugh and others,
>
> In 2007, there were some discussions on whether to allow opens to
> specify O_DIRECT for files backed by tmpfs.[1][2] On the surface, it
> sounds like a completely crazy thing to do.  However, distributions like
> Fedora are now defaulting to using a tmpfs /tmp.  I'm not aware of any
> applications that open temp files using O_DIRECT, but I wanted to get
> some new discussion going on whether this is a reasonable thing to
> expect to work.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
> Jeff
>
> [1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2007/1/4/55
> [2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/482031

Thanks a lot for refreshing my memory with those links.

Whilst I agree with every contradictory word I said back then ;)
my current position is to wait to see what happens with Shaggy's "loop:
Issue O_DIRECT aio using bio_vec" https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/11/22/847

I've been using loop on tmpfs-file in testing for years, and will not
allow that to go away.  I've not yet tried applying the patches and
fixing up mm/shmem.c to suit, but will make sure that it's working
before a release emerges with those changes in.

It would be possible to add nominal O_DIRECT support to tmpfs without
that, and perhaps it would be possible to add that loop support without
enabling O_DIRECT from userspace; but my inclination is to make those
changes together.

(I'm not thinking of doing ramfs and hugetlbfs too.)

Hugh