Re: Any reason to use put_page in slub.c?

On 07/31/2012 06:52 PM, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 09:31 -0500, Christoph Lameter wrote:

>>> I would be happy to do it. Do you have any example of any user that
>>> behaved like this in the past, so I can search for something similar?
>>>
>>> This can potentially take many forms, and auditing every kfree out there
>>> is not humanly possible. The best I can do is to search for known
>>> patterns here...
>>
>> The basic problem is that someone will take the address of an object that
>> is allocated via slab and then access the page struct to increase the page
>> count.
>>
>> So you would see
>>
>> page = virt_to_page(<slab_object>);
>>
>> get_page(page);
>>

>> The main cuprit in the past has been the DMA code in the SCSI layer. I
>> think it was the first 512 byte control block for the device that was the
>> main issue. There was a discussion betwen Hugh Dickins and me when SLUB
>> was first released about this issue and it resulted in some changes so
>> that certain fields in the page struct were not touched by SLUB since they
>> were needed for I/O.
>
> Hey, don't try to pin this on me.  We don't use get_page() at all on the
> ordinary DMA route.  There are four get_page() calls in the whole of
> drivers/scsi.  One is in the sg.c fault path, which looks genuine.  The
> other three are in fcoe and iSCSI ... what they're trying to do is to
> ensure that the page hangs around until the device sees the data in a
> network tx path.
>
> I can't see why any of these pages would come from kmalloc() or any
> other slab object since they should all be user pages.
>
> James
>

> --

On 07/31/2012 06:52 PM, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 09:31 -0500, Christoph Lameter wrote:

>>> I would be happy to do it. Do you have any example of any user that
>>> behaved like this in the past, so I can search for something similar?
>>>
>>> This can potentially take many forms, and auditing every kfree out there
>>> is not humanly possible. The best I can do is to search for known
>>> patterns here...
>>
>> The basic problem is that someone will take the address of an object that
>> is allocated via slab and then access the page struct to increase the page
>> count.
>>
>> So you would see
>>
>> page = virt_to_page(<slab_object>);
>>
>> get_page(page);
>>

>> The main cuprit in the past has been the DMA code in the SCSI layer. I
>> think it was the first 512 byte control block for the device that was the
>> main issue. There was a discussion betwen Hugh Dickins and me when SLUB
>> was first released about this issue and it resulted in some changes so
>> that certain fields in the page struct were not touched by SLUB since they
>> were needed for I/O.
>
> Hey, don't try to pin this on me.  We don't use get_page() at all on the
> ordinary DMA route.  There are four get_page() calls in the whole of
> [...]

I've audited all users of get_page() in the drivers/ directory for
patterns like this. In general, they kmalloc something like a table of
entries, and then get_page() the entries. The entries are either user
pages, pages allocated by the page allocator, or physical addresses
through their pfn (in 2 cases from the vga ones...)

I took a look about some other instances where virt_to_page occurs
together with kmalloc as well, and they all seem to fall in the same
category.