Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC]mTHP reliable allocation and reclamation

On 10.05.24 04:22, Barry Song wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to propose a session about the allocation and reclamation of
mTHP. This is related to Yu Zhao's
TAO[1] but not the same.

OPPO has implemented mTHP-like large folios across thousands of
genuine Android devices, utilizing
ARM64 CONT-PTE. However, we've encountered challenges:

- The allocation of mTHP isn't consistently reliable; even after
prolonged use, obtaining large folios
   remains uncertain.
   As an instance, following a few hours of operation, the likelihood
of successfully allocating large
   folios on a phone may decrease to just 2%.

- Mixing large and small folios in the same LRU list can lead to
mutual blocking and unpredictable
   latency during reclamation/allocation.

   For instance, if you require large folios, the LRU list's tail could
be filled with small folios.
   LRU(LF- large folio, SF- small folio):

    LF - LF - LF -  SF - SF - SF - SF - SF - SF -SF - SF - SF - SF - SF - SF - SF

As we see more and more large folio users, with folios of differing sizes, I do wonder if the problem will shift from an order-0 vs. order>0 to other orders. E.g., order-0 vs. order-4 vs. other orders.

Meaning: small vs. large folios will long term not be the real issue (in some configurations it will remain that for sure).

What's your take on that?

--
Cheers,

David / dhildenb