Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC]mTHP reliable allocation and reclamation

On 2024/5/16 14:57, Barry Song wrote:
On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 3:19 PM Gao Xiang <hsiangkao@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2024/5/16 08:25, Barry Song wrote:
On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 11:41 AM Matthew Wilcox <willy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, May 10, 2024 at 02:22:02PM +1200, Barry Song wrote:
- The allocation of mTHP isn't consistently reliable; even after
prolonged use, obtaining large folios
    remains uncertain.
    As an instance, following a few hours of operation, the likelihood
of successfully allocating large
    folios on a phone may decrease to just 2%.

I'd be curious to know whether you're using a filesystem that supports
large folios or whether the pagecache is full of small folios?  The more
places that allocate large folios, the easier it becomes to allocate
large folios.

I am not using file systems with large folios as neither erofs(compressed files)

Side note:  I will offically support large folios of compressed files
upstream in the upcoming one or two cycle, it's almost okay in the current
codebase.

Thanks for passing along this fantastic news! Feel free to reach me when you
send the patchset. I'm eager to delve into the code and run some tests.

Okay, I will cc you after I sort them out later.

Thanks,
Gao Xiang

I have to do more tests to ensure it doesn't break anything...

Thanks,
Gao Xiang

nor f2fs supports large folios. So, yes, the page cache is full of small folios.

Also, do you have CONFIG_COMPACTION enabled?

Yes. COMPACTION is enabled.

Thanks
Barry