Re: Increase Default vm_max_map_count to Improve Compatibility with Modern Games

On 4/15/24 12:57 PM, Liam R. Howlett wrote:
* Pierre-Loup A. Griffais <pgriffais@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [240414 20:22]:

To be clear, what you are doing here is akin to adding more memory to
your system when there is a memory leak.  This is not the solution you
should be pushing.  Ironically, this is using more memory and performing
worse than it should.  At best, the limit increase is a workaround for
buggy programs.

At worst, you are enabling bad things to keep happening and normalising
poor programming choices.  Please put pressure on the applications that
clearly have issues.

We don't get to prescribe what those applications do. The fact of the matter
is that there are several high-performance memory allocators in wide use by
game applications that make heavy internal use of mmap(), and that using
hundreds of thousands of different memory mappings is well supported on the
platform those applications were written for. (or mapping regions with
different permissions, which results in different regions after platform
translation to Linux happens within Wine)

Thank you for the information on the situation that causes the kernel to
use such a large number of vmas.

The mmap operations will run faster if there are significantly less
vmas.  Having such a large number of objects will cause the faulting of
information into the memory to be slower, and that would hold true for
all platforms.

If this is for high-performance, then it would be unlikely that it was
designed to run with 65,530 objects to search.  It is also odd that
there are several allocators running into the same issue. If I were to
guess, the allocators are trying to bypass the operating systems use of
memory and implement another way of tracking it specific to your usecase
for speed.  It sounds like it is being translated incorrectly and
causing a monster data structure to track it on the kernel side.

If it's a translation layer in wine making a decision on how to
translate a particular set of calls then it could be fixed, or at least
examined for inefficiencies.

I mentioned translation because it can play a role if the original mappings contain regions with different permissions, as it would need to translate those into several different mappings on Linux, but I wouldn't expect it's really having a meaningful effect. By and large, I think those mappings are coming as-is through the app.

Either way, the performance will be sub-optimal on the page fault path
(probably the most common) and any other path that uses such a large
number of vmas.

Pointing out that there exists one game that doesn't happen to do that is
not terribly useful for the purpose of this discussion.

I provided the data I could collect reasonably quickly, but the scale of
the difference was the important part of my statement.

The problem statement seems pretty simple - distributions that want to
support those usecases out of the box can make that change, like we've done
for years on SteamOS. On those that don't, users of those applications will
have to discover and learn to apply the change by hand after having a likely
sub-par experience trying to get their game up and running.

This number of vmas is indicating an issue with the utilisation of the
virtual memeory areas.  Increasing the limit is allowing the game to
run, but it will not be performant. It is unfortunate that the solution
was to increase the value.

Games don't necessarily care if mmap() (and ensuing faults) is a bit slower than the fastest case. Doing such an operation is already considered a relatively slow path and would likely happen on a resource loading thread instead of the hot main loop.

I've yet to hear a specific downside of making the change other than a real
concern about DoS of kernel memory in another discussion - it seems to me
like there is much lower hanging fruit for DoSing a Linux system you have
shell access to, at the moment.

Poor performance is the downside. The specific downside is the overly
large data structure that the kernel has to navigate on every page fault
or any other vma operation.  This isn't specific to changing the number,
but to the fact that it needed to be changed in the first place.

Is there an upper limit of vmas that you have seen?  Can you provide a
copy of the mappings when you see this for testing?  This works out to a
5 level maple tree.

I don't really know of an upper limit. I can provide a contrasting anecdote that seems to use a fair amount of mappings - running the title `Hogwarts Legacy` after having loaded into interactive gameplay in the initial area:

plagman@redcore:~$ cat /proc/2009007/maps | wc -l
27217

Here's a copy of /proc/maps if you're curious:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/rf970vdxoexsx8u1otufl/hogwarts_maps?rlkey=ws8uwz9ivjo6rh0y9h15nsbna&dl=0

I'm guessing there is a guard page after all of those mmap()ed mini-arenas the allocator creates, effectively doubling the mapping count.

Thanks,
 - Pierre-Loup

Thanks,
Liam