Re: Increase Default vm_max_map_count to Improve Compatibility with Modern Games

On 4/12/24 10:18 AM, Liam R. Howlett wrote:

Adding Pierre-Loup to cc list.

* David Hildenbrand <david@xxxxxxxxxx> [691231 23:00]:
On 02.04.24 09:34, Oleksandr Natalenko wrote:
Hello.

On středa 20. března 2024 22:05:34, CEST vincentdelor@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hello,

I am writing to highlight an issue impacting many Linux users, especially those who enjoy modern gaming. The current default setting of `vm_max_map_count` at 65530 has been linked to crashes or launch failures in several contemporary games.

To address this, I have opened a detailed bug report (218616 – Increase Default vm_max_map_count to Improve Gaming Experience on Linux) available at: 218616 – Increase Default vm_max_map_count to Improve Gaming Experience on Linux (kernel.org) .

This is change is getting more traction as distributions switch to a
higher number of VMAs.  I feel we need to educate them as to what this
really means and why it is unnecessary and wrong.

We have identified that several modern games such as Hogwarts Legacy, Star Citizen, and others experience crashes or fail to start on Linux due to the default `vm_max_map_count` being set to 65530. These issues can be mitigated by increasing the `vm_max_map_count` value to over 1048576, which has been confirmed to resolve the crashes without introducing additional bugs related to map handling.

This issue affects a wide range of users and has been noted in distributions like Fedora and Pop!_OS, which have already adjusted this value to accommodate modern gaming requirements.

For reference, here is the change for Fedora:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/IncreaseVmMaxMapCount

Here is a list of games affected by this low value in vm_max_map_count as reported to Valve:

THE FINALS
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/7317#issuecomment-1974837850

Hogwarts Legacy
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/6510#issuecomment-1422781100

DayZ
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/3899#issuecomment-1304397069

Counter-Strike 2
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/2704#issuecomment-1705199788

Most of these do not have the vma information available anymore, if it
was there (expired pastebin links, etc).

**Affected Games:**
- Hogwarts Legacy
- Star Citizen
- THE FINALS