Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Swap Abstraction "the pony"

On Wed, Mar 6, 2024 at 2:44 PM Jared Hulbert <jaredeh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 6, 2024 at 10:16 AM Chris Li <chrisl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Okay that is an interesting difference in assumptions.  I see no need
> > > to have file == page, I think that would be insane to have an inode
> > > per swap page.  You'd have one big "file" and do offsets.  Or a file
> > > per cgroup, etc.
> >
> > Then you are back to design your own data structure to manage how to
> > map the swap entry into large file offsets. The swap file is a one
> > large file, it can group  clusters as smaller large files internally.
>
> No, that's not how I see it. I must be missing something.  From my
> perspective I am suggesting we should NOT be designing our own data
> structures to manage how to map the swap entries into large file
> offsets.

OK, you are suggesting not using file inodes for 4K swap pages.
Also not design our own data structure to manage swap entry allocation.

> This is nearly identical to the database use case which has been a
> huge driver of filesystem and block subsystem optimizations over the
> years.   In practice it's not uncommon to have a dedicated filesystem
> dominated with one huge database file, a smaller transaction log, and
> some metadata files about the database.  The workload for the database
> is random reads and writes at 8K, while the log file is operated like
> a write only ringbuffer most of the time.  And filesystems have been
> designed and optimized for decades (and continue to to be optimized)
> to properly place data on the media.  All the data structures and
> grouping logic is present.  Filesystems aren't just about directories
> and files.  Those are the easy parts.

Then how do you allocate swap entries using this file system or database?
More detail on how swap entries map into the large files offsets can
help me understand what you are trying to do.

> > Why not use the swap file directly? The VFS does not really help,
>
> I don't understand your question?  How do you have a "swap file"
> without a clearly defined API?  What am I lissing.

Swap file support exists in the kernel. You can block IO on the swap
device with a given offset. The block device API exists.  That is how
the swap back end works right now. I am not sure I understand your
question.

Chris