Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Measuring limits and enhancing buffered IO

On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 06:29:43PM -0500, Kent Overstreet wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 01:55:10PM -0800, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 04:19:14PM -0500, Kent Overstreet wrote:
> > > +cc Paul

> > There are some APIs for that, though the are sharp-edged and mainly
> > intended for rcutorture, and there are some hooks for a CI Kconfig
> > option called RCU_STRICT_GRACE_PERIOD that could be organized into
> > something useful.
> >
> > Of course, if there is a long-running RCU reader, there is nothing
> > RCU can do.  By definition, it must wait on all pre-existing readers,
> > no exceptions.
> >
> > But my guess is that you instead are thinking of memory-exhaustion
> > emergencies where you would like RCU to burn more CPU than usual to
> > reduce grace-period latency, there are definitely things that can be done.
> >
> > I am sure that there are more questions that I should ask, but the one
> > that comes immediately to mind is "Is this API call an occasional thing,
> > or does RCU need to tolerate many CPUs hammering it frequently?"
> > Either answer is fine, I just need to know.  ;-)
>
> Well, we won't want it getting hammered on continuously - we should be
> able to tune reclaim so that doesn't happen.
>
> I think getting numbers on the amount of memory stranded waiting for RCU
> is probably first order of business - minor tweak to kfree_rcu() et all
> for that; there's APIs they can query to maintain that counter.

We can easily tell you the number of blocks of memory waiting to be freed.
But RCU does not know their size.  Yes, we could ferret this on each
call to kmem_free_rcu(), but that might not be great for performance.
We could traverse the lists at runtime, but such traversal must be done
with interrupts disabled, which is also not great.

> then, we can add a heuristic threshhold somewhere, something like
>
> if (rcu_stranded * multiplier > reclaimable_memory)
> 	kick_rcu()

If it is a heuristic anyway, it sounds best to base the heuristic on
the number of objects rather than their aggregate size.

							Thanx, Paul