Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Measuring limits and enhancing buffered IO

On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 01:55:10PM -0800, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 04:19:14PM -0500, Kent Overstreet wrote:
> > +cc Paul

> > > RCU allocating and freeing of memory can already be fairly significant
> > > depending on workload, and I'd expect that to grow - we really just need
> > > a way for reclaim to kick RCU when needed (and probably add a percpu
> > > counter for "amount of memory stranded until the next RCU grace
> > > period").
>
> There are some APIs for that, though the are sharp-edged and mainly
> intended for rcutorture, and there are some hooks for a CI Kconfig
> option called RCU_STRICT_GRACE_PERIOD that could be organized into
> something useful.
>
> Of course, if there is a long-running RCU reader, there is nothing
> RCU can do.  By definition, it must wait on all pre-existing readers,
> no exceptions.
>
> But my guess is that you instead are thinking of memory-exhaustion
> emergencies where you would like RCU to burn more CPU than usual to
> reduce grace-period latency, there are definitely things that can be done.
>
> I am sure that there are more questions that I should ask, but the one
> that comes immediately to mind is "Is this API call an occasional thing,
> or does RCU need to tolerate many CPUs hammering it frequently?"
> Either answer is fine, I just need to know.  ;-)

Well, we won't want it getting hammered on continuously - we should be
able to tune reclaim so that doesn't happen.

I think getting numbers on the amount of memory stranded waiting for RCU
is probably first order of business - minor tweak to kfree_rcu() et all
for that; there's APIs they can query to maintain that counter.

then, we can add a heuristic threshhold somewhere, something like

if (rcu_stranded * multiplier > reclaimable_memory)
	kick_rcu()