Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Making pseudo file systems inodes/dentries more like normal file systems

On Sat, 27 Jan 2024 12:15:00 +0200
Amir Goldstein <amir73il@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would like to attend the talk about what happened since we suggested
> that you use kernfs in LSFMM 2022 and what has happened since.

It was the lack of documentation to understand the concept it was
using. As I was very familiar with the way debugfs worked, I couldn't
map that same logic to how kernfs worked for what I wanted to do. I
remember spending a lot of time on it but just kept getting lost. I then
went to see if just modifying the current method with tracefs that was
like debugfs and things made a lot more sense. I guess the biggest
failure in that was my thinking that using the dentry as the main
handle was the proper way to do things, as supposed to being the exact
opposite. If I had known that from the beginning, I probably would have
approached it much differently.

> I am being serious, I am not being sarcastic and I am not claiming that
> you did anything wrong :)

Thanks ;-)

> Also ,please do not forget to also fill out the Google form:
>
>           https://forms.gle/TGCgBDH1x5pXiWFo7

Crap, I keep forgetting about that form.

> So we have your attendance request with suggested topics in our spreadsheet.

Appreciate it.

-- Steve