Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Making pseudo file systems inodes/dentries more like normal file systems

On Thu, Jan 25, 2024 at 08:50:55PM -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:24:03 -0800
> Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 25, 2024 at 10:48:22AM -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > > Now that I have finished the eventfs file system, I would like to present a
> > > proposal to make a more generic interface that the rest of tracefs and even
> > > debugfs could use that wouldn't rely on dentry as the main handle.
> >
> > You mean like kernfs does for you today?  :)
> >

> I tried to use kernfs when doing a lot of this and I had issues. I
> don't remember what those were, but I can revisit it.

You might, as kernfs makes it so that the filesystem structures are
created on demand, when accessed, and then removed when memory pressure
happens.  That's what sysfs and configfs and cgroups use quite
successfully.

thanks,

greg k-h