Re: [LSF/MM/BPF] Whither Highmem?

On Mon, May 08, 2023 at 02:43:30AM +0300, Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:
> On Mon, May 08, 2023 at 12:20:42AM +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> >
> > I see there's a couple of spots on the schedule open, so here's something
> > fun we could talk about.
> >
> > Highmem was originally introduced to support PAE36 (up to 64GB) on x86
> > in the late 90s.  It's since been used to support a similar extension
> > on ARM (maybe other 32-bit architectures?)
> >
> > Things have changed a bit since then.  There aren't a lot of systems
> > left which have more than 4GB of memory _and_ are incapable of running a
> > 64-bit kernel.
>
> Actual limit is lower. With 3G/1G userspace/kernel split you will have
> somewhere about 700Mb of virtual address space for direct mapping.
>
> But, I would like to get rid of highmem too. Not sure how realistic it is.

Right, I was using 4GB because on x86, we have two config options that
enable highmem, CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G and CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G.  If we get rid
of the latter, it could be a nice win?

Also, the more highmem we have, the more kinds of things we need to put in
highmem.  Say we have a 3:1 ratio of high to lowmem.  On my 16GB laptop,
I have 5GB of Cached and 8.5GB of Anon.  That's 13.5GB, so assuming that
ratio would be similar for a 4GB laptop, it's 5.4:1 and storing _just_
anon & cached pages in highmem would be more than enough.

(fwiw, PageTables is 125MB)

Maybe there's a workload that needs, eg page tables or fs metadata to
be stored in highmem.  Other than pathological attempts to map one
page per 2MB, I don't think those exist.

Something I forgot to say is that I do not think we'll see highmem being
needed on 64-bit systems.  We already have CPUs with 128-bit registers,
and have since the Pentium 3.  128-bit ALUs are missing, but as long as
we're very firm with CPU vendors that this is the kind of nonsense up
with which we shall not put, I think we can get 128-bit normal registers
at the same time that they change the page tables to support more than
57 bits of physical memory.