Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] The future of memory tiering

On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 09:30:54PM -0700, David Rientjes wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> As requested, sending along a last minute topic suggestion for
> consideration for LSF/MM/BPF 2023 :)
>
> For a sizable set of emerging technologies, memory tiering presents one of
> the most formidable challenges and exicting opportunities for the MM
> subsystem today.
>
> "Memory tiering" can mean many different things based on the user: from
> traditional every day NUMA, to swap (to zswap), to NVDIMMs, to HBM, to
> locally attached CXL memory, to memory borrowing over PCIe, to memory
> pooling with disaggregation, and beyond.
>
> Just as NUMA started out only being useful for the supercomputers, memory
> tiering will likely evolve over the next five years to take on an
> expanding set of use cases, and likely with rapidly increasing adoption
> even beyond hyperscalers.
>
> I think a discussion about memory tiering would be highly valuable.  A few
> key questions that I think can drive this discussion:
>
>  - What are the various form factors that must be supported as short-term
>    goals as well as need to be supported 5+ years into the future?
>
>  - What incremental changes need to be made on top of NUMA support to
>    fully support the wide range of use cases that will be coming?  (Is
>    memory tiering support built entirely upon NUMA?)
>
>  - What is the minimum viable *default* support that the MM subsystem
>    should provide for tiered configs?  What are the set of optimizations
>    that should be left to userspace or BPF to control?
>
>  - What are the various page promotion technqiues that we must plan for
>    beyond traditional NUMA balancing that will allow us to exploit
>    hardware innovation?
>
> (And I'm sure there are more topics of discussion that others would
> readily add.  It would be great to have additional ideas in replies.)
>
> A key challenge in all of this is to make memory tiering support in the
> upstream kernel compatible with the roadmaps of various CPU vendors.  A
> key goal is to ensure the end user benefits from all of this rapid
> innovation with generalized support that is well abstracted and allows for
> extensibility.

I'm interested in this too, memory pools with strong locality to
specific compute blocks are becoming an increasing feature in
supercomputer build outs. It would be great to see a comprehensive
approach to this in the mm, not just solving the "external
slower dram" approach.

Jason