Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] BoF VM live migration over CXL memory​

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 10:38:04AM +0200, David Hildenbrand wrote:
> On 12.04.23 04:54, Huang, Ying wrote:
> > Gregory Price <gregory.price@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > > That feels like a hack/bodge rather than a proper solution to me.
> > >
> > > Maybe this is an affirmative argument for the creation of an EXMEM
> > > zone.
> >
> > Let's start with requirements.  What is the requirements for a new zone
> > type?
>
> I'm stills scratching my head regarding this. I keep hearing all different
> kind of statements that just add more confusions "we want it to be
> hotunpluggable" "we want to allow for long-term pinning memory" "but we
> still want it to be movable" "we want to place some unmovable allocations on
> it". Huh?
>
> Just to clarify: ZONE_MOVABLE allows for pinning. It just doesn't allow for
> long-term pinning of memory.

I apologize for the confusion, this is my fault.  I had assumed that
since dax regions can't be pinned, subsequent nodes backed by a dax
device could not be pinned.  In testing this, this is not the case.

Re: long-term pinning, can you be more explicit as to what is considered
long-term?  Minutes? hours? days? etc

If a migration operation is considered short term, then pinning VM
memory during migration deals with this issue cleanly.

So walking back my statement - give my testing, i don't believe there's
a reason for a new zone.