Re: [External] RE(2): FW: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] SMDK inspired MM changes for CXL

On Tue, Apr 04, 2023 at 04:51:08PM -0700, Dan Williams wrote:
> Gregory Price wrote:
> [..]
> > More generally, I think a cxl-swap (cswap? ;V) would be useful exactly to
> > help identify when watch-and-wait tiering becomes more performant than
> > promote-on-first-use.  If you can't beat a simple fast-swap, why bother?
>
> I think it is instructive to look at what happened with PMEM, i.e.  a
> "pswap" idea never entered the discourse. The moment the memory is not
> byte-addressable, it might as well be an NVME device where it can
> support a queue-depth and async-dma.

touché, but then did pmem hit latencies as high as 1.5-2us?

(I honestly don't know).

I'm just wondering how useful a 2mb page of memory at 1.5us per fetch
is, and whether we'll find it's almost always beneficial to promote that
page one first/second/third cache line fetch in some interval.  If you
always promote on first use, it's basically just super-swap - even if
the memory is still itself still byte-addressable.