Re: [External] RE(2): FW: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] SMDK inspired MM changes for CXL

> On Apr 1, 2023, at 3:51 AM, Gregory Price <gregory.price@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Apr 04, 2023 at 05:58:05PM +0000, Adam Manzanares wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 04, 2023 at 11:31:08AM +0300, Mike Rapoport wrote:
>>>
>>> The point of zswap IIUC is to have small and fast swap device and
>>> compression is required to better utilize DRAM capacity at expense of CPU
>>> time.
>>>
>>> Presuming CXL memory will have larger capacity than DRAM, why not skip the
>>> compression and use CXL as a swap device directly?
>>
>> I like to shy away from saying CXL memory should be used for swap. I see a
>> swap device as storing pages in a manner that is no longer directly addressable
>> by the cpu.
>>
>> Migrating pages to a CXL device is a reasonable approach and I believe we
>> have the ability to do this in the page reclaim code.
>>

> The argument is "why do you need swap if memory itself is elastic", and
> I think there are open questions about how performant using large
> amounts of high-latency memory is.
>
> Think 1us-1.5us+ cross-rack attached memory.
>
> Does it make sense to use that as CPU-addressible and migrate it on
> first use?  Isn't that just swap with more steps?  What happens if we
> just use it as swap, is the performance all that different?
>
> I think there's a reasonable argument for exploring the idea at the
> higher ends of the latency spectrum.  And the simplicity of using an
> existing system (swap) to implement a form of proto-tiering is rather
> attractive in my opinion.

I think the problem with swap that we need to take into account the additional
latency of swap-in/swap-out logic. I assume that this logic is expensive enough.
And if we considering the huge graph, for example, I am afraid the swap-in/swap-out
logic could be expensive. So, the question here is about use-case. Which use-case could
have benefits to employ the swap as a big space of high-latency memory? I see your point
that such swap could be faster than persistent storage. But which use-case can be happy
user of this space of high-latency memory?

Thanks,
Slava.