Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Swap Abstraction / Native Zswap

Yosry Ahmed <yosryahmed@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 9, 2023 at 7:07 PM Huang, Ying <ying.huang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Yosry Ahmed <yosryahmed@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> > Unfortunately it's a little bit more. 24 is the extra overhead.
>> >
>> > Today we have an xarray entry for each swapped out page, that either
>> > has the swapcache pointer or the shadow entry.
>> >
>> > With this implementation, we have an xarray entry for each swapped out
>> > page, that has a pointer to the swap_desc.
>> >
>> > Ignoring the overhead of the xarray itself, we have (8 + 24) / (8 + 1) = 3.5556.
>>
>> OK.  I see.  We can only hold 8 bytes for each xarray entry.  To save
>> memory usage, we can allocate multiple swap_desc (e.g., 16) for each
>> xarray entry.  Then the memory usage of xarray becomes 1/N.
>>
>> > For rotating disks, this might be even higher (8 + 32) / (8 + 1) = 4.444
>> >
>> > This is because we need to maintain a reverse mapping between
>> > swp_entry_t and the swap_desc to use for cluster readahead. I am
>> > assuming we can limit cluster readahead for rotating disks only.
>>
>> If reverse mapping cannot be avoided for enough situation, it's better
>> to only keep swap_entry in swap_desc, and create another xarray indexed
>> by swap_entry and store swap_cache, swap_count etc.
>

> My current idea is to have one xarray that stores the swap_descs
> (which include swap_entry, swapcache, swap_count, etc), and only for
> rotating disks have an additional xarray that maps swap_entry ->
> swap_desc for cluster readahead, assuming we can eliminate all other
> situations requiring a reverse mapping.
>
> I am not sure how having separate xarrays help? If we have one xarray,
> might as well save the other lookups on put everything in swap_desc.
> In fact, this should improve the locking today as swapcache /
> swap_count operations can be lockless or very lightly contended.

The condition of the proposal is "reverse mapping cannot be avoided for
enough situation".  So, if reverse mapping (or cluster readahead) can be
avoided for enough situations, I think your proposal is good.  Otherwise,
I propose to use 2 xarrays.  You don't need another reverse mapping
xarray, because you just need to read the next several swap_entry into
the swap cache for cluster readahead.  swap_desc isn't needed for
cluster readahead.

> If the point is to store the swap_desc directly inside the xarray to
> save 8 bytes, I am concerned that having multiple xarrays for
> swapcache, swap_count, etc will use more than that.

The idea is to save the memory used by reverse mapping xarray.

>> > Can you expand further on this idea? I am not sure I fully understand.
>>
>> OK.  The goal is to avoid the overhead if indirection isn't enabled via
>> kconfig.
>>
>> If indirection isn't enabled, store swap_entry in PTE directly.
>> Otherwise, store index of swap_desc in PTE.  Different functions (e.g.,
>> to get/set swap_entry in PTE) are implemented based on kconfig.
>

> I thought about this, the problem is that we will have multiple
> implementations of multiple things. For example, swap_count without
> the indirection layer lives in the swap_map (with continuation logic).
> With the indirection layer, it lives in the swap_desc (or somewhere
> else). Same for the swapcache. Even if we keep the swapcache in an
> xarray and not inside swap_desc, it would be indexed by swap_entry if
> the indirection is disabled, and by swap_desc (or similar) if the
> indirection is enabled. I think maintaining separate implementations
> for when the indirection is enabled/disabled would be adding too much
> complexity.
>
> WDYT?

If we go this way, swap cache and swap_count will always be indexed by
swap_entry.  swap_desc just provides a indirection to make it possible
to move between swap devices.

Why must we index swap cache and swap_count by swap_desc if indirection
is enabled?  Yes, we can save one xarray indexing if we do so, but I
don't think the overhead of one xarray indexing is a showstopper.

I think this can be one intermediate step towards your final target.
The changes to current implementation can be smaller.

>> Per my understanding, the indirection is to make it easy to move
>> (swapped) pages among swap devices based on hot/cold.  This is similar
>> as the target of memory tiering.  It appears that we can extend the
>> memory tiering (mm/memory-tiers.c) framework to cover swap devices too?
>> Is it possible for zswap to be faster than some slow memory media?
>

> Agree with Chris that this may require a much larger overhaul. A slow
> memory tier is still addressable memory, swap/zswap requires a page
> fault to read the pages. I think (at least for now) there is a
> fundamental difference. We want reclaim to eventually treat slow
> memory & swap as just different tiers to place cold memory in with
> different characteristics, but otherwise I think the swapping
> implementation itself is very different.  Am I missing something?

Is it possible that zswap is faster than a really slow memory
addressable device backed by NAND?  TBH, I don't have the answer.

Anyway, do you need a way to describe the tiers of the swap devices?
So, you can move the cold pages among the swap devices based on that?

Best Regards,
Huang, Ying