Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Swap Abstraction / Native Zswap

On Thu, Mar 9, 2023 at 7:07 PM Huang, Ying <ying.huang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yosry Ahmed <yosryahmed@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> >> If my understanding were correct, for current implementation, we need
> >> one swap cache pointer per swapped out page too.  Even after calling
> >> __delete_from_swap_cache(), we store the "shadow" entry there.  Although
> >> it's possible to implement shadow entry reclaiming like that for file
> >> cache shadow entry (workingset_shadow_shrinker), we haven't done that
> >> yet.  And, it appears that we can live with that.  So, in current
> >> implementation, for each swapped out page, we use 9 bytes.  If so, the
> >> memory usage ratio is 24 / 9 = 2.667, still not trivial, but not as
> >> horrible as 24 / 1 = 24.
> >
> > Unfortunately it's a little bit more. 24 is the extra overhead.
> >
> > Today we have an xarray entry for each swapped out page, that either
> > has the swapcache pointer or the shadow entry.
> >
> > With this implementation, we have an xarray entry for each swapped out
> > page, that has a pointer to the swap_desc.
> >
> > Ignoring the overhead of the xarray itself, we have (8 + 24) / (8 + 1) = 3.5556.
>
> OK.  I see.  We can only hold 8 bytes for each xarray entry.  To save
> memory usage, we can allocate multiple swap_desc (e.g., 16) for each
> xarray entry.  Then the memory usage of xarray becomes 1/N.
>
> > For rotating disks, this might be even higher (8 + 32) / (8 + 1) = 4.444
> >
> > This is because we need to maintain a reverse mapping between
> > swp_entry_t and the swap_desc to use for cluster readahead. I am
> > assuming we can limit cluster readahead for rotating disks only.
>
> If reverse mapping cannot be avoided for enough situation, it's better
> to only keep swap_entry in swap_desc, and create another xarray indexed
> by swap_entry and store swap_cache, swap_count etc.

My current idea is to have one xarray that stores the swap_descs
(which include swap_entry, swapcache, swap_count, etc), and only for
rotating disks have an additional xarray that maps swap_entry ->
swap_desc for cluster readahead, assuming we can eliminate all other
situations requiring a reverse mapping.

I am not sure how having separate xarrays help? If we have one xarray,
might as well save the other lookups on put everything in swap_desc.
In fact, this should improve the locking today as swapcache /
swap_count operations can be lockless or very lightly contended.

If the point is to store the swap_desc directly inside the xarray to
save 8 bytes, I am concerned that having multiple xarrays for
swapcache, swap_count, etc will use more than that.

> >> If we choose to make sizeof(struct swap_desc) == 8, that is, store only
> >> swap_entry in swap_desc.  The added indirection appears to be another
> >> level of page table with 1 entry.  Then, we may use the similar method
> >> as supporting system with 2 level and 3 level page tables, like the code
> >> in include/asm-generic/pgtable-nopmd.h.  But I haven't thought about
> >> this deeply.
> >
> > Can you expand further on this idea? I am not sure I fully understand.
>
> OK.  The goal is to avoid the overhead if indirection isn't enabled via
> kconfig.
>
> If indirection isn't enabled, store swap_entry in PTE directly.
> Otherwise, store index of swap_desc in PTE.  Different functions (e.g.,
> to get/set swap_entry in PTE) are implemented based on kconfig.

I thought about this, the problem is that we will have multiple
implementations of multiple things. For example, swap_count without
the indirection layer lives in the swap_map (with continuation logic).
With the indirection layer, it lives in the swap_desc (or somewhere
else). Same for the swapcache. Even if we keep the swapcache in an
xarray and not inside swap_desc, it would be indexed by swap_entry if
the indirection is disabled, and by swap_desc (or similar) if the
indirection is enabled. I think maintaining separate implementations
for when the indirection is enabled/disabled would be adding too much
complexity.

WDYT?

> Per my understanding, the indirection is to make it easy to move
> (swapped) pages among swap devices based on hot/cold.  This is similar
> as the target of memory tiering.  It appears that we can extend the
> memory tiering (mm/memory-tiers.c) framework to cover swap devices too?
> Is it possible for zswap to be faster than some slow memory media?

Agree with Chris that this may require a much larger overhaul. A slow
memory tier is still addressable memory, swap/zswap requires a page
fault to read the pages. I think (at least for now) there is a
fundamental difference. We want reclaim to eventually treat slow
memory & swap as just different tiers to place cold memory in with
different characteristics, but otherwise I think the swapping
implementation itself is very different.  Am I missing something?