Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Cloud storage optimizations

On Thu, Mar 09, 2023 at 03:49:50PM -0500, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Thu, 2023-03-09 at 10:23 -0500, Martin K. Petersen wrote:
> > > This is not to say I think larger block sizes is in any way a bad
> > > idea ... I just think that given the history, it will be driven by
> > > application needs rather than what the manufacturers tell us.
> >
> > I think it would be beneficial for Linux to support filesystem blocks
> > larger than the page size. Based on experience outlined above, I am
> > not convinced larger logical block sizes will get much traction. But
> > that doesn't prevent devices from advertising larger
> > physical/minimum/optimal I/O sizes and for us to handle those more
> > gracefully than we currently do.
>
> Right, I was wondering if we could try to persuade the Manufacturers to
> advertise a more meaningful optimal I/O size ...

Advocacy for using meaningful values is a real thing, Dan Helmick talked
about this at the last SDC 2022 at least for NVMe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_M92RlVgIQ&ab_channel=SNIAVideo

A big future question is of course how / when to use these for filesystems.
Should there be, for instance a 'mkfs --optimal-bs' or something which
may look whatever hints the media uses ? Or do we just leaves the magic
incantations to the admins?

  Luis