Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Cloud storage optimizations

On Thu, 2023-03-09 at 10:23 -0500, Martin K. Petersen wrote:
> > This is not to say I think larger block sizes is in any way a bad
> > idea ... I just think that given the history, it will be driven by
> > application needs rather than what the manufacturers tell us.
>
> I think it would be beneficial for Linux to support filesystem blocks
> larger than the page size. Based on experience outlined above, I am
> not convinced larger logical block sizes will get much traction. But
> that doesn't prevent devices from advertising larger
> physical/minimum/optimal I/O sizes and for us to handle those more
> gracefully than we currently do.

Right, I was wondering if we could try to persuade the Manufacturers to
advertise a more meaningful optimal I/O size ...  But as you say, the
pressure is coming from applications and filesystems for larger block
sizes and that will create I/O patterns that are more beneficial to the
underlying device hardware regardless of whether it actually tells us
anything about what it would like.

James