Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Swap Abstraction / Native Zswap

On Thu, Mar 02, 2023 at 05:36:20PM -0500, Rik van Riel wrote:
> > The questions, do we have this indirection layer apply to all swap
> > entries?
> >
> I believe we should have a system that tracks every swap entry
> the same, data structure wise. Otherwise we will have two sets
> of code in the kernel, and it will be too easy to get corner
> cases wrong.

It is all about trade offs.  The original proposal is adding 20-30
bytes per swapped out page, compared to existing swap devices.
That is why I want to trade some code complexity for less memory
usage. I will mind less if indirect overhead is much smaller,
for the user who doesn't use it.

> > > That might be a net reduction in the code over what we have today,
> > > because it gets rid of some ugly corner cases.
> >
> > Great.
>
> ... but that won't happen if the indirection layer only applies
> to some swap devices, because we will still need to keep around
> the crazy code to deal with the swap devices that don't have it.

I understand your concern.

It is important to have good abstraction between the different
swap devices. I was hoping to good abstraction can isolate out
the difference in different swap devices.

Chris