Re: x86/pkeys in early kernel version

On 1/25/23 11:02, Jeff Xu wrote:
> I'm investigating if there is a need to backport x86/pkeys
> fix/feature into earlier kernel versions, Chrome is starting to use
> PKEY in x86, and I hope experts here can give advice on this.
>
> For background, ChromeOS regularly syncs with upstream kernel
> versions, and has production that uses 4.4/4.14/4.19/5.4/5.10/5.15.
To be honest, I haven't got the foggiest idea what you need to backport.
 I can barely keep track of mainline.

Are there really production 4.4 kernels that you need to run on
pkey-capable hardware?  That would mean running a 2015-era kernel on a
CPU released in late 2020.  I think Q3'2020 is when the 11th gen CPUs
came out which were the first non-server CPUs that had pkeys.

On a positive note, the pkeys selftest has been pretty consistently
updated as we find bugs.  I'd be curious how well a mainline version of
that selftests runs on old kernels.  But, I'm too scared to find out
what's down that particular rabbit hole myself.