Re: [RFC] Improving userfaultfd scalability for live migration

On Wed, Jan 4, 2023 at 12:57 AM Sean Christopherson <seanjc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 08, 2022, James Houghton wrote:
> > - For the no-slow-GUP choice, if someone MADV_DONTNEEDed memory and we
> > didn't know about it, we would get stuck in MADV_POPULATE_WRITE. By
> > using UFFD_FEATURE_THREAD_ID, we can tell if we got a userfault for a
> > thread that is in the middle of a MADV_POPULATE_WRITE, and we can try
> > to unblock the thread by doing an extra UFFDIO_CONTINUE.
> >
> > - For the PF_NO_UFFD_WAIT choice, if someone MADV_DONTNEEDed memory,
> > we would just keep trying to start the vCPU without doing anything (we
> > assume some other thread has UFFDIO_CONTINUEd for us). This is
> > basically the same as if we were stuck in MADV_POPULATE_WRITE, and we
> > can try to unblock the thread in a fashion similar to how we would in
> > the other case.
> >
> > So really these approaches have similar requirements for what
> > userspace needs to track. So I think I prefer the no-slow-GUP approach
> > then.
>
> Are you planning on sending a patch (RFC?) for the no-slow-GUP approach?  It sounds
> like there's a rough consensus that that's a viable, minimally invasive solution.

Yes, soon. amoorthy@xxxxxxxxxx is working on it.

Also a small correction regarding userspace needing to track
MADV_DONTNEEDs, userfaultfd already handles that with
UFFD_EVENT_REMOVE, so it's a non-issue. Even more reason to take the
no-slow-GUP approach.

- James