Re: [RFC] Improving userfaultfd scalability for live migration

On Tue, Dec 6, 2022 at 1:01 PM Sean Christopherson <seanjc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 06, 2022, James Houghton wrote:

> > > IIUC, Peter is suggesting that the kernel not even get to the point where UFFD
> > > is involved.  The "fault" would get propagated to userspace by KVM, userspace
> > > fixes the fault (gets the page from the source, does MADV_POPULATE_WRITE), and
> > > resumes the vCPU.
> >
> > If we haven't UFFDIO_CONTINUE'd some address range yet,
> > MADV_POPULATE_WRITE for that range will drop into handle_userfault and
> > go to sleep. Not good!
>
> Ah, right, userspace would still need to register UFFD for the region to handle
> non-KVM (or incompatible KVM) accesses and could loop back on itself.
>
> > So, going with the no-slow-GUP approach, resolving faults is done like this:
> > - If we haven't UFFDIO_CONTINUE'd yet, do that now and restart
> > KVM_RUN. The PTEs will be none/blank right now. This is the common
> > case.
> > - If we have UFFDIO_CONTINUE'd already, if we were to do it again, we
> > would get EEXIST. (In this case, we probably have some type of swap
> > entry in the page tables.) We have to change the page tables to make
> > fast GUP succeed now *without* using UFFDIO_CONTINUE now.
> > MADV_POPULATE_WRITE seems to be the right tool for the job. This case
> > happens if the kernel has swapped the memory out, is migrating it, has
> > poisoned it, etc. If MADV_POPULATE_WRITE fails, we probably need to
> > crash or inject a memory error.
> >
> > So with this approach, we never need to take the mmap_lock for reading
> > in hva_to_pfn, but we still need to take it in UFFDIO_CONTINUE.
> > Without removing the mmap_lock from *both*, we don't gain much.
> >
> > So if we disregard this tiny mmap_lock benefit, the other approach
> > (the PF_NO_UFFD_WAIT approach) seems better.
>
> Can you elaborate on what makes it better?  Or maybe generate a list of pros and
> cons?  I can think of (dis)advantages for both approaches, but I haven't identified
> anything that would be a blocking issue for either approach.  Doesn't mean there
> isn't one or more blocking issues, just that I haven't thought of any :-)

Let's see.... so using no-slow-GUP over no UFFD waiting:
- No need to take mmap_lock in mem fault path.
- Change the relevant __gfn_to_pfn_memslot callers
(kvm_faultin_pfn/user_mem_abort/others?) to set `atomic = true` if the
new CAP is used.
- No need for a new PF_NO_UFFD_WAIT (would be toggled somewhere
in/near kvm_faultin_pfn/user_mem_abort).
- Userspace has to indirectly figure out the state of the page tables
to know what action to take (which introduces some weirdness, like if
anyone MADV_DONTNEEDs some guest memory, we need to know).
- While userfaultfd is registered (so like during post-copy), any
hva_to_pfn() calls that were resolvable with slow GUP before (without
dropping into handle_userfault()) will now need to be resolved by
userspace manually with a call to MADV_POPULATE_WRITE. This extra trip
to userspace could slow things down.

Both of these seem pretty simple to implement in the kernel; the most
complicated part is just returning KVM_EXIT_MEMORY_FAULT in more
places / for other architectures (I care about x86 and arm64).

Right now both approaches seem fine to me. Not having to take the
mmap_lock in the fault path, while being such a minor difference now,
could be a huge benefit if we can later get around to making
UFFDIO_CONTINUE not need the mmap lock. Disregarding that, not
requiring userspace to guess the state of the page tables seems
helpful (less bug-prone, I guess).