Re: Additional Huge Pages

On 7/23/22 1:20 AM, Albert, Des wrote:
Hi

I am the Product Manager for the HPE Cray Operating System ( formerly Cray Linux Environment )

One of the features of this product is a component known as additional huge pages. This is kernel code that enables the selection of 'non-standard' huge page sizes.
For example, the current implementation allows for selection of huge page sizes of 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256 and 512 MB as well as 1 and 2 GB.
Hi Des

It seems an interesting feature.
Is it a transparent huge page? And I can imagine huge page size of 2MB, but what's a huge page size of 4 MB, 8 MB, etc.? Two consecutive 2MB huge page or four consecutive 2MB huge page? I'm interested in the implementation of additional huge pages you described. Because I've wanted to try it before, but found that the changes to the kernel were quite big.

We are currently evaluating the concept of providing this code to kernel.org. I realize that this would require dedication of technical resources to work with maintainers.

I would like to know if there is interest in this suggestion. I realize that Transparent Huge Pages may be regarded as a more general approach to this requirement.

Thanks
Des

Dr Des Albert
HPC Software Product Manager