Re: [RFC] Expose a memory poison detector ioctl to user space.

On 4/28/22 09:15, Erdem Aktas wrote:
>> On 4/26/22 12:23, Jue Wang wrote:
>>> On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 11:18 AM Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I shouldn't speak for Intel as a whole, but I'll give you my personal
>> perspective.
>>
>> Right now, hosts can't scan TDX private memory, period.  If you wanted
>> to do scanning, the guest has to do it or you have to kill the guest and
>> make the memory non-private.
>
> Actually, afaiu, the host can read tdx private memory. This should NOT generate
> #MC due to integrity/TD ownership but return a fixed value of "0"s. I do not
> know if this will also trigger #MCs due to memory errors.

I think you're right, at least in the normal case where the access is
performed with the TME KeyID.  "An introductory overview of the Intel
TDX technology"[1] says:

> The TD-bit associated with the line in memory seeks to
> detect software or devices attempting to read memory
> encrypted with private KeyID, using a shared KeyID, to reveal
> the ciphertext. On such accesses, the MKTME returns a fixed
> pattern to prevent ciphertext analysis.

I guess, in practice, the read would need to go all the way out to the
memory controller to get the TD-bit.  But, it's definitely not
well-defined in the spec.

1.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/intel-trust-domain-extensions.html