Re: [patch 149/262] mm/vmscan: throttle reclaim until some writeback completes if congested

On Sat, Nov 6, 2021 at 2:13 PM Vlastimil Babka <vbabka@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> If this needed resolution, didn't the resolution exist in -next already?

Oh, I'm sure it was there in -next.

But I just always do my own merge resolution anyway because I want to
see what's going on.

I don't look at other peoples resolutions, and I much prefer to
actually look at the history itself in order to actually understand
what the history and cause for the conflicts is (and what the proper
resolution was).

Of course, in many cases it's so trivial that there's not a lot to
"understand", and most merge conflicts by far are not the kind that
need a lot of thought.

But just to clarify: I do actually like seeing people send their
resolutions to me (possibly as an addendum to the pull request email,
or possibly as a separate "resolved" branch).

I don't use those to guide my resolution, but if there is any subtle
issues at all, I will then compare the end results to verify that they
agreed. Often any differences tend to be just whitespace or similar,
but it can be interesting to see when there are meaningful semantic
differences.

          Linus