Re: WARNING: at mm/slub.c:3357, kernel BUG at mm/slub.c:3413

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 at 11:18, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> I'd say only this one liner for now, just don't do slabinfo :-)

It's still building, for 2hrs now, must be those debug options I added, a
"normal" build on this machine "only" takes 30min otherwise. Unfortunately
I failed to setup a crosscompile env with the latest crosstool checkout :(

> I just want to see whether your network + heavy IO load problem goes
> away with that one patch.

Sorry, I should have been clearer in that mail: the high "load" value
isn't a problem - the intermittent panics are. What I meant to say was:
the panics usually occur when lots of disk & cpu IO is in progress (rsync
to an external but local disk over firewire). While doing this the load is
usally at 3-5, but that's "normal" and expected for a machine of that age.

But then the machine crashes with recent kernels. After setting the
cpu_partial files to 0 I tried to reproduce the same I/O pattern, *plus* a
bit more, to really stress the machine, so load went up to 6-7 and the
machine did not crash. So the load of 6-7 was expected and I'm glad that
the machine did not crash with that workaround. I don't know of the
implications of setting cpu_partial to 0 though.

As soon as the build with Christoph's one-liner is done I'll test w/o
setting cpu_partial to 0 and see what it gives.

Thanks,
Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #380:

Operators killed when huge stack of backup tapes fell over.