Re: [patch v2] oom: thaw threads if oom killed thread is frozen before deferring

On Tue 11-10-11 10:50:34, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
> >> Looks ok to me.
> >> Michal, do you agree this patch?
> >
> > The patch looks good but we still need other 2 patches
> > (http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mm/68578), right?
> >
> > Anyway, I thought that we agreed on the other approach suggested by
> > Tejun (make frozen tasks oom killable without thawing). Even in that
> > case we want the first patch
> > (http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mm/68576).
>
> I'm sorry. I still don't catch up the above long thread.

To sum up. There are 3 patches flying around at the moment.
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mm/68576
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mm/68577
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mm/68583

They are approaching the problem by thawing oom selected frozen task.

Tejun mentioned his work (sorry I do not have a link to patches) that
should enable direct killing frozen tasks. This would mean that we do
not need any special handling from the OOM code paths AFAIU. This would
be much better of course and I guess we can wait for them for 3.2.

Does this make sense?

--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs