Re: AMD SEV-SNP/Intel TDX: validation of memory pages

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 03:53:18PM +0100, Joerg Roedel wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 03:17:57PM +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 02:19:07PM +0100, Joerg Roedel wrote:
> > > 	- Then we can pass this information up the boot process by
> > > 	  extending struct boot_params. The bootloader can pass which
> > > 	  E820 usable memory it validated, same for the kernel
> > > 	  decompressor. The text+data (but not bss) of the running
> > > 	  kernel image is per definition validated by the decompressor
> > > 	  and does not need to be added explicitly to boot_params.
> >
> > Even if all text+data is prevalidated, we'll probably still need some
> > prevalidated bss and certainly some prevalidated percpu data (like the
> > various stacks, but also crud like the percpu variable we store the DR7
> > shadow in etc..).
>
> The kernel sets up early exception handling in head_64.S, right after
> setting MSR_GS_BASE. So per-cpu data can probably be be on-demand. For
> bss you might be right.

That's the thing, we don't want #VE to happen in noinstr code *ever*.

noinstr covers the whole entry code, things like the syscall gap and nmi
recursion setup. Getting a #VE there is fail.

So most per-cpu data can be on-demand, but some of it must absolutely
not be.