Re: Deferred Memory Init: How to bring rest of memory online after limiting it with `mem=XG`?

On 03.12.20 13:52, Paul Menzel wrote:
> Dear David,
>

> Thank you for the quick response.
>

> Am 03.12.20 um 13:25 schrieb David Hildenbrand:
>> On 03.12.20 11:51, Paul Menzel wrote:
>
>>> I am trying to reduce the startup time of Debian’s Linux 5.9.9 on a
>>> Intel Kaby Lake system with 32 GB of memory (TUXEDO Book BU1406 (Clevo
>>> N240BU)).
>
> […]
>
>> We do have deferred meminit in the kernel during boot that can
>> initialize memory in parallel.
>
> Is that used automatically, or do I need to activate it somehow?

If your kernel is compiled with

CONFIG_DEFERRED_STRUCT_PAGE_INIT

it should be enabled automatically.

config DEFERRED_STRUCT_PAGE_INIT
	bool "Defer initialisation of struct pages to kthreads"
	depends on SPARSEMEM
	depends on !NEED_PER_CPU_KM
	depends on 64BIT
	select PADATA
	help
	  Ordinarily all struct pages are initialised during early boot in a
	  single thread. On very large machines this can take a considerable
	  amount of time. If this option is set, large machines will bring up
	  a subset of memmap at boot and then initialise the rest in parallel.
	  This has a potential performance impact on tasks running early in the
	  lifetime of the system until these kthreads finish the
	  initialisation.

--
Thanks,

David / dhildenb