Re: Deferred Memory Init: How to bring rest of memory online after limiting it with `mem=XG`?

On 03.12.20 11:51, Paul Menzel wrote:
> Dear Feng,
>

> I am trying to reduce the startup time of Debian’s Linux 5.9.9 on a
> Intel Kaby Lake system with 32 GB of memory (TUXEDO Book BU1406 (Clevo
> N240BU)). On your Linux Plumbers Conference 2019 slides of your talk
> *Linux Kernel Fastboot On the Way* [1], you mention *Deferred Memory Init*:
>
>> Deferred Memory Init
>>
>> •   8GB RAM’s initialization costs 100+ ms
>> •   In early boot phase, we don’t need that much memory
>> •   Utilize the memory hotplug feature
>>     •   “mem=4096m” in cmdline to only init 2 GB
>>     •   Use systemd service to add rest memory in parallel

Uh, that sounds very wrong and flawed.

Even if you would be adding+onlining memory in parallel, memory
hotplug/onlining code runs strictly sequential. This does not work.

And I question this approach in general.

We do have deferred meminit in the kernel during boot that can
initialize memory in parallel.

--
Thanks,

David / dhildenb