Re: [patch 16/40] selftests/vm: use a common gup_test.h

On 10/20/20 9:45 AM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 9:13 PM John Hubbard <jhubbard@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Also, if there is anything I can do to unblock this, such as sending a formal
patch, or an updated patch or patchset, please let me know. I realize that
this is a low-priority area, but it would still be nice to get it merged
and behind us.

So what happens when I notice something like this, I just drop it from
my queue, the policy being "this was clearly not ready to be sent to
Linus".

That doesn't mean that it's blacklisted, but it does mean that I don't
want to see it returned immediately with the superficial thing fixed
that I noticed.

That's partly because I feel that people need to take another look and
see if there was perhaps something else going on (if I found one small
thing, maybe there are others lurking).

But admittedly it's probably mostly because I really don't want to
feel like I'm the wall that people throw spaghetti at to see if it
sticks. By the time it came to me, it was supposed to be ready (unless
I'm actively part of the development of said feature of course - which
still happens occasionally, but on the whole is a vanishingly small
part of the stuff I merge).

So I do expect to see it again later in some patch submission, just
not right now.

                  Linus

Makes perfect sense. I was wondering if it was blacklisted or in purgatory
or what, but now I get it. Thanks for explaining that part of the flow.

I'll see if I can pick up some more reviews, during this next cycle.

thanks,
--
John Hubbard
NVIDIA