Re: [RFC 0/7] Support high-order page bulk allocation

On 14.08.20 19:31, Minchan Kim wrote:
> There is a need for special HW to require bulk allocation of
> high-order pages. For example, 4800 * order-4 pages.
>
> To meet the requirement, a option is using CMA area because
> page allocator with compaction under memory pressure is
> easily failed to meet the requirement and too slow for 4800
> times. However, CMA has also the following drawbacks:
>
>  * 4800 of order-4 * cma_alloc is too slow
>
> To avoid the slowness, we could try to allocate 300M contiguous
> memory once and then split them into order-4 chunks.
> The problem of this approach is CMA allocation fails one of the
> pages in those range couldn't migrate out, which happens easily
> with fs write under memory pressure.

Why not chose a value in between? Like try to allocate MAX_ORDER - 1
chunks and split them. That would already heavily reduce the call frequency.

I don't see a real need for a completely new range allocator function
for this special case yet.

> To solve issues, this patch introduces alloc_pages_bulk.
>
>   int alloc_pages_bulk(unsigned long start, unsigned long end,
>                        unsigned int migratetype, gfp_t gfp_mask,
>                        unsigned int order, unsigned int nr_elem,
>                        struct page **pages);
>
> It will investigate the [start, end) and migrate movable pages
> out there by best effort(by upcoming patches) to make requested
> order's free pages.
>
> The allocated pages will be returned using pages parameter.
> Return value represents how many of requested order pages we got.
> It could be less than user requested by nr_elem.
>
> /**
>  * alloc_pages_bulk() -- tries to allocate high order pages
>  * by batch from given range [start, end)
>  * @start:      start PFN to allocate
>  * @end:        one-past-the-last PFN to allocate
>  * @migratetype:        migratetype of the underlaying pageblocks (either
>  *                      #MIGRATE_MOVABLE or #MIGRATE_CMA).  All pageblocks
>  *                      in range must have the same migratetype and it must
>  *                      be either of the two.
>  * @gfp_mask:   GFP mask to use during compaction
>  * @order:      page order requested
>  * @nr_elem:    the number of high-order pages to allocate
>  * @pages:      page array pointer to store allocated pages (must
>  *              have space for at least nr_elem elements)
>  *
>  * The PFN range does not have to be pageblock or MAX_ORDER_NR_PAGES
>  * aligned.  The PFN range must belong to a single zone.
>  *
>  * Return: the number of pages allocated on success or negative error code.
>  * The allocated pages should be freed using __free_pages
>  */
>
> The test goes order-4 * 4800 allocation(i.e., total 300MB) under kernel
> build workload. System RAM size is 1.5GB and CMA is 500M.
>
> With using CMA to allocate to 300M, ran 10 times trial, 10 time failed
> with big latency(up to several seconds).
>
> With this alloc_pages_bulk API, ran 10 time trial, 7 times are
> successful to allocate 4800 times. Rest 3 times are allocated 4799, 4789
> and 4799. They are all done with 300ms.
>
> This patchset is against on next-20200813
>
> Minchan Kim (7):
>   mm: page_owner: split page by order
>   mm: introduce split_page_by_order
>   mm: compaction: deal with upcoming high-order page splitting
>   mm: factor __alloc_contig_range out
>   mm: introduce alloc_pages_bulk API
>   mm: make alloc_pages_bulk best effort
>   mm/page_isolation: avoid drain_all_pages for alloc_pages_bulk

> [...]

Thanks,

David / dhildenb