Re: ABI compatibility for /proc/zoneinfo

On 08/10/20 at 08:18pm, Sonny Rao wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 7:37 PM Baoquan He <bhe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > According to Documentation/admin-guide/sysctl/vm.rst, "Each zone has
> > > an array of protection pages". I'm not sure if this is the guarantee,
> > > but the doc should reflect the actual format.
> >
> > The current code will list all zones in one memory node, even though
> > that node only has one existing zone. E.g in below node 1,
> > it only has NORMAL zone, but we will list zone DMA, DMA32, MOVABLE,
> > DEVICE which are all empty zone, namely doesn't exist. So, each zone
> > has an array of protection pages, it should not include the nonexistent
> > zone. I thought nobody would check the protection line of an empty zone,
> > seems I was wrong.
>

> This particular parser was written as a state machine and that line
> was a convenient thing to look for to mark the end of each zone.
> AFAICT, there's no explicit documentation on the layout of that file
> though.

Ah, I see. While the protection line can only mark the end of empty zone.
For populated zone, it obvisouly can't. One wild idea is not showing
those empty zones at all. On NUMA system with multiple memory nodes,
the nodes other than node0 won't have DMA, DMA32 zone usually, it doesn't
make any sense to list them in /proc/zoneinfo.