Re: [RFC] Make the memory failure blast radius more precise

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 04:21:24PM -0700, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 5:10 AM Matthew Wilcox <willy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 05:01:24PM -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> > > Frankly, I've wondered why the filesystem shouldn't just be in charge of
> > > all this--
> > >
> > > 1. kernel receives machine check
> > > 2. kernel tattles to xfs
> > > 3. xfs looks up which file(s) own the pmem range
> > > 4. xfs zeroes the region, clears the poison, and sets AS_EIO on the
> > >    files
> >
> > ... machine reboots, app restarts, gets no notification anything is wrong,
> > treats zeroed region as good data, launches nuclear missiles.
>
> Isn't AS_EIO stored persistently in the file block allocation map?

No.  AS_EIO is in mapping->flags.  Unless Darrick was using "sets AS_EIO"
as shorthand for something else.

> Even if it isn't today that is included in the proposal that the
> filesystem maintains a list of poison that is coordinated with the
> pmem driver.

I'd like to see a concrete proposal here.

> > > Apps shouldn't have to do this punch-and-reallocate dance, seeing as
> > > they don't currently do that for SCSI disks and the like.
> >
> > The SCSI disk retains the error until the sector is rewritten.
> > I'm not entirely sure whether you're trying to draw an analogy with
> > error-in-page-cache or error-on-storage-medium.
> >
> > error-on-medium needs to persist until the app takes an affirmative step
> > to clear it.  I presume XFS does not write zeroes to sectors with
> > errors on SCSI disks ...
>
> SCSI does not have an async mechanism to retrieve a list of poisoned
> blocks from the hardware (that I know of), pmem does. I really think
> we should not glom on pmem error handling semantics on top of the same
> infrastructure that it has handling volatile / replaceable pages. When

Erm ... commit 6100e34b2526 has your name on it.

> the filesystem is enabled to get involved it should impose a different
> model than generic memory error handling especially because generic
> memory-error handling has no chance to solve the reflink problem.
>
> If an application wants to survive poison consumption, signals seem
> only sufficient for interrupting an application that needs to take
> immediate action because one of its instructions was prevented from
> making forward progress. The interface for enumerating the extent of
> errors for DAX goes beyond what signinfo can reasonably convey, that
> piece is where the filesystem can be called to discover which file
> extents are impacted by poison.
>
> I like Darrick's idea that the kernel stabilizes the storage by
> default, and that the repair mechanism is just a write(2). I assume
> "stabilize" means make sure that the file offset is permanently
> recorded as poisoned until the next write(2), but read(2) and mmap(2)
> return errors so no more machine checks are triggered.

That seems like something we'd want to work into the iomap infrastructure,
perhaps.  Add an IOMAP_POISONED to indicate this range needs to be
written before it can be read?