Re: [patch 125/166] lib/list: prevent compiler reloads inside 'safe' list iteration

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 10:28 AM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There may be something really subtle going on, but it really smells
> like "two threads are modifying the same list at the same time".
>
> And there's no way that the READ_ONCE() will fix that bug, it will
> only make KASAN shut up about it.

[ And by KASAN I obviously meant KCSAN every time ]

An alternative is that it's just a KCSAN bug or false positive for
some other reason. Which is possible. But the more I look at this, the
more I think you really have a bug in your list handling.

I'm just not convinced the whole "we have a race where we randomly add
a tail object" in another thread is a valid reason for making those
"safe" list accessors use READ_ONCE.

The thing is, they were never designed to be safe wrt concurrent
accesses. They are safe from the _same_ thread removing the current
entry, not from other threads changing the entries - whether it be the
last one or not.

Because if _another_ thread removes (or adds) an entry, you have a
whole new set of issues. READ_ONCE() isn't sufficient. You need to
have memory ordering guarantees etc.

For example, the thread that adds another entry that might - or might
not - be visible without locking, would have to fully initialize the
entry, and set the ->next pointer on it, before it adds it to the
list.

I suspect you could use the RCU list walkers for a use-case like this.
So __list_add_rcu() for example uses the proper rcu_assign_pointer()
(which uses smp_store_release()) to make sure that the newly added
entry is actually _ordered_ wrt the stores to the entry.

But the "safe" list functions simply do not have those kinds of
ordering guarantees, and doing concurrent list_add() simply *CANNOT*
be right. Adding a READ_ONCE() does not in any way make it right
(although it might work in practice on x86).

               Linus