Re: [patch 2/5] drivers/base/memory.c: indicate all memory blocks as removable

Please, David H - whatever you do with email is WRONG.

Fix your completely broken email client. Stop doing this.

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 7:17 PM Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: David Hildenbrand <david@xxxxxxxxxx>
>  [...]
> According to Nathan Fontenot, DLPAR on powerpc is nowadays no longer
> driven from userspace via the drmgr command (powerpc-utils). Nowadays
> it's managed in the kernel - including onlining/offlining of memory
> blocks - triggered by drmgr writing to /sys/kernel/dlpar. So the
> affected legacy userspace handling is only active on old kernels. Only ve=
> ry
> old versions of drmgr on a new kernel (unlikely) might execute slower -
> totally acceptable.
>
> With CONFIG_MEMORY_HOTREMOVE, always indicating "removable" should not
> break any user space tool. We implement a very bad heuristic now.  Withou=
> CONFIG_MEMORY_HOTREMOVE we cannot offline anything, so report
> "not removable" as before.

Notice the bogus MIME line continuation left-overs?

  [...] Only ve=
  ry

and

  [...] Withou=

is just completely wrong.

You either have a completely broken email client that doesn't handle
MIME at all - get rid of it - or you're then dealing with raw mbox
data in a completely broken manner without handling MIME wrapping.

I can't figure out _what_ you're doing wrong, but the pattern is clear
by now: it's not Andrew (although Andrew should check explanations
better!), since it _only_ happens with patches from David Hildenbrand.

Fix your workflow. Because it's broken.

             Linus