Re: is hibernation usable?

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 1:36 AM Michal Hocko <mhocko@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri 21-02-20 10:04:18, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > Could you be more specific what you have in mind? swapoff causing the
> > > OOM killer?

No, not swapoff, just fast allocation.

Also, in some earlier experiments I tried gradually increasing
min_free_kbytes (precisely as suggested) and this would randomly
trigger OOM kills when swap space was still available.

> > > No, there is no API to trigger the global memory reclaim. You could
> > > start the reclaim by increasing min_free_kbytes but I wouldn't really
> > > recommend that unless you know exactly what you are doing and also I
> > > fail to see the point. If s2disk fails due to insufficient swap space
> > > then how can a pro-active reclaim help in the first place?
> >
> > My understanding of the problem is that the size of swap is
> > (theoretically) sufficient, but it is not used as expected during the
> > preallocation of image memory.
> >
> > It was stated in one of the previous messages (not in this thread,
> > cannot find it now) that swap (of the same size as RAM) was activated
> > (swapon) right before hibernation, so theoretically that should be
> > sufficient AFAICS.

Correct, those were my experiments.  Search the archives for
"semenzato", there are a couple of threads on the topic.

But really, why not have a user-level interface for reclaim?  I find
it very difficult to understand the behavior of the reclaim code, and
any attempt to reclaim from user level (memory-eating processes,
raising min_free_kbytes) can end in the OOM-kill path.  Using cgroups'
memory.limit_in_bytes doesn't have this problem, precisely because it
only calls try_to_free_pages(), which doesn't trigger OOM killing.  If
I could make that call from user level (without cgroups) it would
greatly simplify my current workaround, and would be useful in other
situations as well.

Something like

  echo $page_count > /proc/sys/vm/try_to_free_pages
  cat /proc/sys/vm/pages_freed   # the number of pages freed at the
latest request