Re: + mm-introduce-reported-pages.patch added to -mm tree

> Am 07.11.2019 um 01:20 schrieb Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
> On 11/6/19 3:33 PM, David Hildenbrand wrote:
>> We want do discuss *design* and *architecture* here, not
>> *implementation details*.
>
> Could folks remind me what they see as the high-level design delta
> between these two approaches?
>
> It seems to me like Alex's approach tries to minimize new metadata, but
> imposes some rules on the internals of the allocator.  Nitesh's is more
> disconnected from the allocator, but has the increased complexity of
> managing some new disjoint metadata.
>
> Right?

Very right AFAIKS. It’s a matter of where to store new metadata and how to stop the buddy from reusing pages that are currently getting reported.The latter does not spill virt specific optimization stuff into the core buddy, which is why that information has to be tracked differently.