Re: incoming

On Mon 23-09-19 21:31:53, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 17:55:24 -0700 Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 3:31 PM Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > - almost all of -mm, as below.
> >
> > I was hoping that we could at least test the THP locality thing? Is it
> > in your queue at all, or am I supposed to just do it myself?
> >

> Confused.  I saw a privately emailed patch from David which nobody
> seems to have tested yet.  I parked that for consideration after -rc1.
> Or are you referring to something else?
>
> This thing keeps stalling.  It would be nice to push this along and get
> something nailed down which we can at least get into 5.4-rc, perhaps
> with a backport-this tag?

The patch proposed by David is really non trivial wrt. potential side
effects. I have provided my review feedback [1] and it didn't get
any reaction. I really believe that we need to debug this properly. A
reproducer would be useful for others to work on that.

There is a more fundamental problem here and we need to address it
rather than to duck tape it and whack a mole afterwards.

[1] http://lkml.kernel.org/r/20190909193020.GD2063@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs