Re: MIPS/CI20: BUG: Bad page state

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 07:29:29PM +0000, Paul Burton wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 09:20:12PM +0300, Aaro Koskinen wrote:
> > I have been trying to get GCC bootstrap to pass on CI20 board, but it
> > seems to always crash. Today, I finally got around connecting the serial
> > console to see why, and it logged the below BUG.
> >
> > I wonder if this is an actual bug, or is the hardware faulty?
> >
> > FWIW, this is 32-bit board with 1 GB RAM. The rootfs is on MMC, as well
> > as 2 GB + 2 GB swap files.
> >
> > Kernel config is at the end of the mail.
>
> I'd bet on memory corruption, though not necessarily faulty hardware.
>
> Unfortunately memory corruption on Ci20 boards isn't uncommon... Someone
> did make some tweaks to memory timings configured in the DDR controller
> which improved things for them a while ago:
>
>   https://github.com/MIPS/CI20_u-boot/pull/18
>
> Would you be up for testing with those tweaks? I'd be happy to help with
> updating U-Boot if needed.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this, and seems like it could help.

I guess instructions here <https://elinux.org/CI20_Dev_Zone> are valid,
i.e. I can use MMC/SD card to re-flash the U-boot without the risk of
bricking the board, if I understood correctly?

BTW, would it be possible to re-adjust these timings from the kernel side?

> Do you know which board revision you have? (Is it square or a funny
> shape, green or purple, and does it have a revision number printed on
> the silkscreen?)

It's a purple one. Based on quick look all printings are identical to this
one:
https://images.anandtech.com/doci/8958/purple%20ci20_smaller_678x452.jpg

A.