Re: cgroup-aware OOM killer, how to move forward

Hello,

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 03:50:22PM +0200, Michal Hocko wrote:
> > So, one good way of thinking about this, I think, could be considering
> > it as a scoped panic_on_oom.  However panic_on_oom interacts with
> > memcg ooms, scoping that to cgroup level should likely be how we
> > define group oom.
>
> So what are we going to do if we have a reasonable usecase when somebody
> really wants to have group kill behavior depending on the oom domain?
> I have hard time to imagine such a usecase but my experience tells me
> that users will find a way I have never thought about.

So, I don't know when that happend but panic_on_oom actually has 0, 1,
2 settings - 0 no group oom, 1 system kill on oom of any origin, 2
system kill only if it was a system oom.  Maybe we should just follow
that but just start with 1?

Thanks.

--
tejun