Re: cgroup-aware OOM killer, how to move forward

On Thu 19-07-18 10:05:47, Roman Gushchin wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 09:38:43AM +0200, Michal Hocko wrote:

> > > Yes.

> > > I mean if traversing the hierarchy up to the oom root we meet
> > > a memcg with group_oom set to 0, we shouldn't stop traversing.
> >
> > Well, I am still fighting with the semantic of group, no-group, group
> > configuration. Why does it make any sense? In other words when can we
> > consider a cgroup to be a indivisible workload for one oom context while
> > it is fine to lose head or arm from another?
>
> Hm, so the question is should we traverse up to the OOMing cgroup,
> or up to the first cgroup with memory.group_oom=0?
>
> I looked at an example, and it *might* be the latter is better,
> especially if we'll make the default value inheritable.
>
> Let's say we have a sub-tree with a workload and some control stuff.
> Workload is tolerable to OOM's (we can handle it in userspace, for
> example), but the control stuff is not.
> Then it probably makes no sense to kill the entire sub-tree,
> if a task in C has to be killed. But makes perfect sense if we
> have to kill a task in B.
>
>   /
>   A, delegated sub-tree, group_oom=1
>  / \
> B   C, workload, group_oom=0
> ^
> some control stuff here, group_oom=1
>
> Does this makes sense?

I am not sure. If you are going to delegate then you are basically
losing control of the group_oom at A-level. Is this good? What if I
_want_ to tear down the whole thing if it starts misbehaving because I
do not trust it?

The more I think about it the more I am concluding that we should start
with a more contrained model and require that once parent is
group_oom == 1 then children have to as well. If we ever find a usecase
to require a different scheme we can weaker it later. We cannot do that
other way around.

Tejun, Johannes what do you think about that?
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs