Re: Instability in current -git tree

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 5:20 PM Pavel Tatashin
<pasha.tatashin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'd like to try to reproduce it as well, were you able to reproduce this problem in qemu? What were the qemu arguments if so?

No, this is actually on raw hardware. I've had a unstable machine for
the last couple of weeks, and it just hung with no sign of where.

I finally reproduced it reliably by booting with less memory
("mem=6G") and then putting the machine under memory pressure and then
I could get it on the console when the machine died. Before that it
was just an occasional hung machine randomly every other day or
whatever.

If it reproduces in emulation, that will certainly make it easier to
see the messages.

But since I suspect it might be related to having that odd (read: real
life) e820 table setup, it might not reproduce in emulation. At least
when I boot up in lkvm-run, I don't see those ACPI tables and ACPI NVS
sections, which seems to be related to this.

I'm attaching my kernel-config (this is the non-debug one - it does
have CONFIG_DEBUG_VM, but none of the other debug options I ran with
for the last few days in the hope of catching it earlier).

                Linus