Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM TOPIC] Killing reliance on struct page->mapping

On Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 09:00:13AM -0700, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 2/1/18 8:57 AM, Jerome Glisse wrote:
> >>
> >> Ehm nope. bio_vec is a generic container for pages, requiring
> >> buffer_heads to be able to do IO would be insanity.
> >
> > The extra pointer dereference would be killing performance ?
>
> No, I'm saying that requiring a buffer_head to be able to do IO
> is insanity. That's how things used to be in the pre-2001 days.

Oh ok i didn't thought it would be a problem, iirc it seemed to me that
nobh fs were allocating a buffer_head just do I/O but my memory is probably
confuse. Well i can use the one bit flag idea then allmost same semantic
patch but if flag is (ie page is write protected)set then to get the real
page address you have to do an extra memory dereference. So it would add
an extra test for common existing case and an extra derefence for the write
protect case. No need for buffer_head.

Thanks for pointing out this buffer_head thing :)

Jérôme