Re: [patch 0/4] memcg: operate on page quantities internally

On Wed,  9 Feb 2011 12:01:49 +0100
Johannes Weiner <hannes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this patch set converts the memcg charge and uncharge paths to operate
> on multiples of pages instead of bytes.  It already was a good idea
> before, but with the merge of THP we made a real mess by specifying
> huge pages alternatingly in bytes or in number of regular pages.
>
> If I did not miss anything, this should leave only res_counter and
> user-visible stuff in bytes.  The ABI probably won't change, so next
> up is converting res_counter to operate on page quantities.

Hmm, I think this should be done but think this should be postphoned, too.
Because, IIUC, some guys will try to discuss charging against kernel objects
in the next mm-summit. IMHO, it will be done against PAGE not against
Object even if we do kernel object accouting. So this patch is okay for me.
But I think it's better to go ahead after we confirm the way we go.
How do you think ?

Anyway, I welcome this patch.

Thanks,
-Kame